Wednesday, February 3, 2010

So many good movies, Whip It, Invention of Lying, Pandorum





So the movies I have been watching lately are good, really, really good. The first one I watch was Whip It. Every single preview for this movie made me want to go out and skate and to find myself a roller derby league in my area and go out and kick some ass. The movie went right about the same lines. The movie is directed by my doppelganger Drew Barrymore and she also plays one of the roller derby Hurl Scouts. The main character is Ellen Page who is amazing in her role of teenager looking to break out of her mother’s idea of her future and be her own hero. The movie also tackles a bit about love, and growing up, but overall it is about how one girl takes control of her life and dedicates herself to her passion. If you have ever wanted to roller derby even just a little bit, then this movie will push you over the edge. With a fantastic soundtrack and a wonderfully funny cast of character, this movie is a joy to watch and I would love to have it in my collection.
The second movie I watched was The Invention of Lying, and it as well was excellent. I LOVE Ricky Gervais, so much so that I have his radio show on my MP3 player and when we drive long distances I do nothing but listen to his show! He is hilarious and he does not disappoint in this movie about a world where there is no such thing as lying and the main character actual invents the whole process of lying and since he is the only one who can lie no matter what he says everyone believes him. He falls into major trouble when he comforts his dying mother who is scared of the idea of nothingness after you die and is overheard telling her about the wonders that await her after she dies. He then becomes the person that has to explain the basic principles of religion to these people. Now this movie has causes a stir on IMDB because people are outraged that it doesn’t place Christianity as a historic event. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Christianity is technically a mythology. I know hate me all you want, my family is Christian, except my kiiiii…. Jewish sister hehehehe, love you Angel! What it boils down to is whatever you believe is yours, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks or believes. I am not a Christian. In fact on Planet Cancer I am in the Atheist, Agnostic, Spiritual and Non Believers Group and I love that they have it! I personally do not believe in praying, I think it is very selfish to ask God to do what you want him to do because you ask for it. I am not atheist or agnostic, in fact I do not even know where I belong, but I do know that whatever you believe with all your heart and soul is what is true to you. So, loosen up and enjoy that sense of humor while you still have it! God gave you the ability to laugh and you damn well better use it! SO, if you can get over your own religious beliefs and look at the movie for what it is; a comedy about a world with no lies, then you will probably enjoy this movie very much. I know I did. I would highly recommend it for a funny night!
The last movie I watched was Pandorum, which is one of the best Sci Fi movies I have seen at home in a long, long time. This movie is excellent. The cast, the shots, the story, everything is wonderful. It reminded me of another movie I LOVE called The Decent. The basic idea is that an engineer wakes up by himself with no memory on a ship that is in disarray. He is soon joined by a Lieutenant that helps guide him to the bridge. However there are these creatures now that are trying to kill every living thing. The overall story is very good in this movie and the ending is excellent. It is hard to make a Sci Fi movie that isn’t lame or over done with special effects while the story fails. Pandorum is a thrill ride, with several jump parts, that is also a psychological roller coaster. Pandorum itself is a term that describes the mental state where the body goes completely crazy from the isolation of space. And if you tell me you knew what was fully going to happen, I will call you a damned liar! The lead in this film is also one of my favorite childhood actors Ben Foster who co-starred as Tucker in Flash Forward, and boy oh boy did I have a crush on him! :-P (or as Fish makes me call him now Bananas Foster) Anyway, the movie is great pick it up! Don’t let anything deter you, as Fish said “Uhh Ohh maybe we shouldn’t get it” in response to the “By the Director of Resident Evil” label in the back. He has now forgotten all about the first movie and directly links that to crap, but he was wrong this time! Go out and find it at your local movie place and watch the awesomeness! :-D
Love Love Jettychan

No comments:

Post a Comment