Friday, January 15, 2010

Nothing Like the Holidays- nothing remarkable but not bad at all


I enjoy John Leguizamo quite a bit so when I saw a preview for a movie with a large cast of funny Latin actors I thought it looked funny. After watching the movie, it was not really that funny, there were a several funny jabs but nothing like I imagined, which may be why I like it. This story is about a Puerto Rican family that is celebrating the holidays together with a son that just got back from Iraq, and daughter who moved to LA to be an actress, and a business man son who married a white girl and doesn't have any children yet (which I guess for Puerto Ricans is almost a sin against God :-P) and since it was directed by the same person as Barbershop and Babershop2, I figured it would be filled with pieces that are ethnically specific with the one white girl (Debra Messing in this case) being the butt of all the jokes, but I was pleasantly surprised. There isn't anything super remarkable with this movie, nothing that you cant see coming if you are paying attention, but I can say that I liked this movie. I will not be rushing out to buy it, but it is definitely worth a rent. It doesn't have the slap stick, family fighting holiday gimmicks of most other Christmas movies. The timing is a bit slow and it seems more like it would be a good play with scene changes in it, but as a movie it is quite nice. Check it out if you are in the mood for an non form based Christmas movie. Mazel Tov!

No comments:

Post a Comment